Erich Fromm
I thought the following quote may be worth sharing. It was written by Erich Fromm in 1968 in a book called The revolution of hope: "The year 2000 may be...the beginning of a period in which man ceases to be human and becomes transformed into an unthinking and unfeeling machine" (Page 29 of the Perennial Library paperback edition, first published in 1974). I share it with you in order to stimulate thought and, if you are so inclined, to comment. My personal feeling is that Fromm was, as usual, close to the mark. I recognize that it is asking a lot to expect a generation to consider the possibility that it may have so gone off the rails that it has ceased to be human, or that it has been transformed into an unthinking and unfeeling machine. Obviously, it is not meant to be taken literally. What then did Fromm mean? How much truth is there in such a prediction?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home